Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP 3301fdw

I used HP smart on my 1 day old printer and it asks for a password.  I tried the administrator password (which makes no sense) the WIFI password and my account password.  All were entered correctly and rejected.   What password is it looking for.  Also when I press enter it tries to get my to setup the WIFI even though it is already connected (like 5 times).  I apparently need to use the App to turn on Air print but since the app will not connect to the printer because of the password issue I cannot do that.  I also tried the HP Pin and that did not work.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @edwillia,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing some frustrating issues with your new HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP 3301fdw. Let's try to troubleshoot this.

• Default Passwords: Sometimes, the default password for printers could be a combination like "admin" or "password". It's worth a try if you haven't already.
  • Reset the Printer: If none of the passwords work, you might consider resetting the printer to factory settings. This should reset any password settings as well. 
  • Firmware Update: Sometimes, firmware updates can resolve such issues. Check if there are any available updates for your printer and install them if possible.
  • Alternative Setup Methods: If you're unable to connect via the HP Smart app, you might try setting up the printer through a different method. Most printers have a web interface that you can access through a browser. You can try connecting to the printer's IP address through a browser to see if there are additional setup options there.
  • AirPrint Activation: If you can access the printer settings through a web interface, you might be able to activate AirPrint from there instead of using the HP Smart app.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.