Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000 (2Y4A6AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi.  laptop turns on but doesn’t boot up ?

While playing a game the screen began having a couple of horizontal lines appear across it. Then the corners started to distort and fade then a complete blackout.  So shut it down,  then when turning back on it won’t start up. The power light is on and you can hear a slight humming noise but nothing else happens. Then Gpu fans don’t turn on either. 

Have tried following advice from other posts including  removing the ac adapter (can’t remove the battery),  holding the power button  for 15secs,    Plugging the ac back in . Then power button and f6 etc. 

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @S-Sw3,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP Omen laptop is experiencing some hardware issues, possibly related to the graphics card or the display. The symptoms you described, such as horizontal lines, distortion, and a complete blackout, suggest a problem with either the GPU or the display connection.

Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

• External Display: Connect your laptop to an external monitor or TV using an HDMI cable to see if you get any display output. If the external display works fine, then the issue might be with the laptop's built-in display.
  • Check GPU: If you suspect a GPU problem, try reseating the GPU if it's user-accessible (although this is unlikely in most laptops). 
  • Reset BIOS/UEFI: Sometimes, resetting the BIOS/UEFI settings to default can help resolve boot issues. You can usually do this by accessing the BIOS/UEFI setup utility during boot (usually by pressing F2, F10, or Del key), then finding the option to reset to default settings.
  • Remove and Reinsert RAM: Turn off the laptop, remove the RAM modules, and then reinsert them firmly. Sometimes, a loose RAM connection can cause boot issues.
  • Battery Reset: Since you mentioned you can't remove the battery, you might need to skip this step. However, if your laptop allows for battery removal (even if it's not easily accessible), you can try removing it and then holding the power button for about 30 seconds to drain any residual power. Then reinsert the battery and try booting again.
  • Hardware Diagnostics: Some HP laptops come with built-in hardware diagnostic tools that can help identify hardware issues. You can usually access these tools during startup by pressing a specific key combination (often F2 or F12) or through the BIOS/UEFI setup utility.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and advice.

Sadly connecting to an external screen hasn’t worked. My brother also thinks the gpu is the problem. Am going to take it to be checked by a local computer repair shop and double check.

Am already looking for a replacement just in case .

HP Recommended

Hi @S-Sw3,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.