Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I am trying to install a game on steam on my (D:) drive but i am receiving "missing file privileges" message. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ChrisGarcia99 

Welcome to the HP Community --

@ChrisGarcia99 wrote:

I am trying to install a game on steam on my (D:) drive but i am receiving "missing file privileges" message. 

Do you mean to say "Stream" -- as in "Stream" computer?

Tiny little C drive disk?

No room to turn around?

Sound familiar?

Regardless,

The "D" drive is perhaps the Recovery Drive -- if little Stream computer even has such.

If "D" is the Recovery Drive, then No, you cannot install games or anything else in that area.

HP Device Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos,

Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance

Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

Open

Product Home

Enter the device type and model name of your HP product

OR

Select a saved product from HP Account Dashboard

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

No steam the gaming app, everytime I go to download on (C:) it works but when I choose folder(D:) it says “missing file privileges”. It would work before but I have not been able to get it to work anymore.

HP Recommended

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

HP Recommended

@ChrisGarcia99 

OK -- Unknown computer model - not HP Stream.

Computer model likely does not matter as long as the Disk structure is something with which you are familiar and you know "this should work".

Not sure -- Just one idea at the moment...

If you have not done so, check the Permissions - these are not likely changed, but it takes seconds to confirm.

Open  Windows Explorer > Navigate to the "D" Drive

Try to write to the drive - simple text file - content is not as important as whether you have read/write access.

DataDrive_D_Security_1DataDrive_D_Security_1

I'll post back should I think of anything to add.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.