Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

i have a hp omen pc and i cannot figure out how to disable something called "kernel DMA protection. I know for most people its just in the bios but its not there for me. I already tried disabling virtulization and that didnt work. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @pexyv1 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Kernel DMA Protection is a good thing. It is a Windows security feature which is not offered on Windows Home versions.

Are you sure kernel DMA Protection is enabled on your PC? My Windows Pro systems have this option off since the PCs don't have any hot plug devices such as: Thunderbolt, USB4, or CFexpress.

Check this Microsoft Link for more information about kernel DMA Protection.

Regards

HP Recommended

yes i know the kernel DMA Protection is a good thing but i need it disabled to run something on my pc. i keep getting  the error code DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION. and im pretty sure its because of that setting

HP Recommended

pexyv1_0-1715974673023.png

i also know that the setting is on because it shows this in my system information 

HP Recommended

Hi @pexyv1 

Thanks for the additional info.

Have you tried turning off memory integrity in Windows Security?

HP may not be providing the option to directly disable kernel DMA protection in the BIOS (if such an option exists) if you can't find it. I've never had to deal with this problem. 

This BIOS option would probably be in the Security Menu if it exists.

You might be able to disable kernel DMA protection by reversing the steps at the above Microsoft site showing how to enable this function.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @pexyv1 

You disabled Virtualization in the BIOS.

Try disabling this in Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off.

Regards

HP Recommended

i dont see the exact setting in the control panel. i see hyper-v which is related to it but its already off so idk. it feels like ive tried everything possible to disable it but nothing works. is there a way to like force turn it off? using a command or something like that

HP Recommended

Hi @pexyv1 

I wish I had a solution but I've never had to deal with this situation. I don't have Thunderbolt, USB4, or CFexpress.

Have you tried Googling this problem for an answer? Maybe you can find a different Forum having a fix or find a site providing a solution. I did some cursory searching but could not find anything useful.

Maybe HP Support can help.

I am baffled that you have this problem if your PC is using Windows Home.

Kernel DMA Protection should not be an option using Windows Home. Maybe HP has added this function to Windows Home if your PC's hardware supports Thunderbolt, USB4, or CFexpress.

OEMs (HP, Dell, and Lenovo) have been using Device Encryption on Windows Home PCs since W11. Device Encryption is a light version of BitLocker. BitLocker used to be a: Win Pro, Education, and Enterprise option.

It is very hard to keep up with all of the changes happening in the world of IT.

Regards

HP Recommended

ive looked at everything possible on google to find a answer and cant find one. and for some reason i just cant get in contact with hp support.I just cant do anything to turn that setting off it seems on my pc

HP Recommended

Hi @pexyv1 

Sorry to see you can't find a solution.

I am out of ideas how to bypass this error. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.