Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2170m CTO

My computer recently started getting stuck on the HP logo during boot up, and after trying to to reset BIOS settings, reseat components, and run the built-in diagnostics, I figured that its likely an OS issue and decided to reinstall windows. When I run the Windows media manager from a USB, however, it just boots back into the HP logo and freezes again. Sometimes the screen will turn black for a moment and then go back to the HP logo, and sometimes it'll say "Preparing Automatic Repair". Secure boot is off and I can't find any fast boot or legacy boot settings in the BIOS. I know the USB works because it's able to open correctly on my laptop, but it just doesn't run at all on the desktop for some reason.

Is there some setting I'm missing or some test I can run to figure out what's wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @TheRealest 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

I am not sure what a Windows media manager is. Are you referring to bootable USB Windows 11 installation media?

The system drive should be okay if HP Diagnostic tests passed. You might have a corrupted Windows boot loader.

I would reset the BIOS to defaults if you can get into the BIOS.

Start the PC. Repeatedly tap the "ESC" key.

Select "F10" to enter the BIOS. Reset the BIOS to defaults. Then save and exit.

You will lose all data on the system drive if you reinstall Windows.

Shut down the PC. Connect the bootable USB W11 installation media drive to your PC. Tap the "ESC" key again at restart. Now select "F9".

Then choose the UEFI USB boot option to start the W11 installation process.

Regards

HP Recommended

Sorry for the confusion, but yes I was referring to the bootable USB Windows 11 installation media. I've also tried resetting the BIOS settings and choosing the USB from the boot menu, but that didn't work. Even when choosing the USB it still went to the HP logo and froze. Is there anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

Hi @TheRealest 

I am confused by what is happening.

It seems you ran HP diagnostics at startup and got a pass on all components. Did you run extensive system and component diagnostics?

You have video and mouse/keyboard function. 

You did get into the BIOS and reset the BIOS to defaults. A BIOS reset should automatically enable Secure Boot. You could try removing the CR2032 MB battery when the PC is disconnected from AC power. Let the PC sit for about five minutes.

Reinstall the MB battery. Try to install Windows again.

You could have a failing system drive since you indicated you sometimes see a "preparing automatic repair" message. But a failing system drive would not prevent booting to USB media that works on a different PC (your Laptop).

I can't think of any other reason why you cannot reinstall Windows. Maybe a different Forum member will spot something I am missing.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.