Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop PC GT12-1000a (ID 1Z1C0AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am having trouble with my HP omen 25L. Recently when I try to run a game the pc completely cuts off and starts to reboot, there are no error messages or blue screens. after launching a game about 5 seconds in the screen completely goes black and reboots. I have established it is not the operating system as I have re installed a couple of times and reverted back to windows 10. I have tried reinstalling the games. I have tested all hardware and the only thing that I think it can be is the motherboard. I have had the pc for just over two years now and have never had it apart or had any problems at all with it until now. The problem first started when I was in the middle of a gaming session around 5 hours in my pc just went black and rebooted. I have had a couple of occasions when the pc has rebooted when just doing standard browsing on the internet as well. The specs of my pc are AMD ryzen 7 5700g, Nvidia RTX 3070, 16GB of Kingston fury ram and a 500 watt cooler master power supply. Thank you for any future help in advance it will be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @t-k_omen 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

I am guessing your PC is not in warranty.

You have probably eliminated an operating system problem by reinstalling Windows. Are all drivers up to date?

The PC shuts down and immediately restarts. Verify Windows is configured to not restart when a problem occurs.

I would enter Advanced System Properties in search. Select the result.

Select Settings in Startup and Recovery which is located in the Advanced tab.

Uncheck automatically restart and click okay. Click okay again.

The PC should blue screen the next time it does an unexpected restart. A failing component or power delivery problem will probably bypass the blue screen error message. You may not get a blue screen.

It sounds like a hardware problem which could also be caused by excessive component temps or a power supply problem.

Download and run Cinebench R20 repeatedly to check the CPU. Then download and run Furmark to check the graphics card. Furmark also has a CPU burner test.

One of the above torture tests should give you an idea of what component has a problem. A failing power supply will affect both components.

You would have to swap in core components: (power supply, RAM, graphics card, CPU, and/or MB) to isolate the problem. And it is best to disconnect unneeded hardware and unneeded peripherals when you are looking for a faulty core component.

It is sometimes good to have a local PC Tech take a look if you can't zero in on the bad component.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  I am thinking both of our problems are overheating CPU, with mine narrowed down to bad thermal paste needing replaced.   I have spent literally days trying to fix this issue.  Everything from updating drivers, to testing/upgrading ram,  reinstalling windows and my OS, cleaned the vents, tested fan, etc.   This has been happening to me for at least a year.  Only recently after finally getting so annoyed, I tried to figure it out.  After a year of not being able to play any game, and testing so many different fixes in the last several days, I still could not play.  I moved past overheating days ago because all temp. reading programs never registered high enough temps to cause a reboot, but I finally realized this was because I could barely even start playing a game before it rebooted so the program never had a chance to register it.  The overheating was that quick.  The seemingly random, but no so random, timing of the reboots made me keep going back to overheating.   Finally, hours before I typed this, I had an idea.   Take the back of my PC off, (I have an All-in-one) and let it run with the windows open and AC on in the room I am in, dropping the temp in the room and the temp of my PC down dramatically.  The temp reading program is now registering lower temps when at idle.  I tried playing a game, and it actually ran for the first time in 1+ years without restarting my PC.   The most important information is that after playing the game for awhile the temp. program registered higher temps than I have ever seen since I started monitoring them while trying to fix this.  Which means the game would cause temperatures high enough to cause a reboot if I had the back panel on my PC and the temp of the room I am in at the normal 75 degrees.    So try to dramatically cool down your PC and start the game.  Lower your PC temp by helping it cool and if the game plays when your PC temp is lower then you can be sure it's an overheating issue.  Literally get a table fan or 2 pointing at your PC, or set the PC with the case off on the ground in front of an open refrigerator and try to run the game.  Clean your vents and fan if need be first and test for overheat by running the game.  If it works without issue then you know your PC needs to be cooler and you've eliminated 100's of other possibilities.  If that does work, next check/replace your PC thermal paste.  That stuff is vital and will break down after a few years.  That is what mine needs and I realized that because my PC is clean, but tonight when I removed my heat sink for the 3rd time to check my fan/vents again, I noticed my paste was old, crusty, and flaking.  When you said you were gaming for 5 hours and then it shut off, I am guessing you finally wore out your thermal paste and whenever your PC tries to run a game, your CPU overheats very quickly.  Just like mine.   I was playing flight sim when it happened the first time.  I am not 100% percent sure that the paste is the problem at the moment, but after my latest "test" I can now say I am 100% sure it is my CPU overheating, and 98% sure it will be fixed when I get some thermal paste and apply it later today.        Hope this helps.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.