Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a problem I'm having with constant internet drop outs on my HP Pavillion 15-cx0019na gaming laptop.

I've tried near enough every fix and diagnostic tool I can find and nothing seems to work, not even a full system reset. The only thing I've been able to identify as a possible cause is that my drivers aren't compatible with Windows 11, but I've had Windows 11 for years and the problem only just started a week or 2 ago. I spoke with someone at Microsoft customer care and they found a new network driver, but it didn't seem to do anything at all. All of my drivers are completely up to date as far as the Windows updates show.

No other device in the house seems to be having these drop outs so I don't think it's an internet problem. Some devices do take a few minutes to connect, even using ethernet connection, but once they are connected they're fine.

I have tried using both Wi-Fi and ethernet and both are exactly the same. The only thing that seemed to help was disconnecting Wi-Fi range extenders, but that just made the disconnections less frequent rather than preventing them altogether.

The laptop is a few years old, but other than the internet drop outs it works absolutely perfectly and I'd rather not have to replace it if possible.

If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated but I'm not tech savvy at all so please explain things as simply as possible.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to update the Wi-Fi driver to the latest version HP has for the Realtek Wi-Fi adapter your notebook comes with:

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice. As far as I know, I have the latest version. I'm not sure if HP have a driver for this laptop that supports Windows 11.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

The driver I posted is good for W10 22H2, and W11 22H2. 

You can check the driver version and date of the currently installed driver by going to the device manager, click to expand the network adapters device manager category, click on the Realtek wifi adapter, and then click on the driver tab.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I'll give that one a try.

I think I've installed it, but I've never done this before. After clicking on the download and letting it install, does my laptop just pick it up and use it automatically or do I need to manually find and set it up?

Also, does this only work for Wi-Fi or does it work when using an ethernet cable too?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You download and save the file, left double click on it to run the setup application and the driver is what is known as a 'silent install.'

After the driver unpacks the files, one of those black windows command screens opens, installs the driver and closes.

it doesn't report anything, so you can verify the driver installed by following the steps I posted earlier to see what version is installed.  If it is 2024.10.228.9    Dec/07/2023, you're good to go.

If not, you can manually update the driver as follows:

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Network adapters device manager category.

Click on the Realtek wifi adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the 'Browse my computer for drivers' option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp150994.

Make sure that the Include subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

The Realtek ethernet adapter uses a different driver.

You can download and install the latest W11 driver for your notebook's ethernet adapter directly from the Realtek site.

2nd one on the list.

Realtek

Download, unzip and run the setup application.

HP Recommended

I've got both of those drivers installed and set up now. Hopefully they'll improve things.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.