Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-xf0000 (758Q7AV)

My 280W AC Adapter, after being dropped a few inches does not work anymore. It charges the laptop for a few seconds and goes away right after. Without readjusting or even touching the adapter, if I turn the plug off and on again it does the same. I'm almost certain it is an issue with the adapter and not the laptop itself. I am currently on 22% battery writing this, please help.

I do not have another adapter which is compatible with this laptop.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @starrgaze_r,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to assist you.

I see that you are facing an issue with your Laptop adapter after it was dropped.

-Perform a power drain on the AC adapter.

1) Unplug the power cord from the PC & wall.

2) Disconnect the power cable from the AC adapter if it is a detachable part and keep it aside.

3) Press and hold the power button down for 15 seconds and release the power button, wait for about 30 seconds.

4) Plug the power cord back into the AC adapter, then connect it to the wall and to the charging port on your PC. Check if the battery is charging now.

If the issue still persists, please follow the below steps to perform the AC Adapter Test.

On the Component Tests menu, click Power, click AC Adapter Test, and then click Run once. The AC Adapter Test begins.

When the test is complete, the screen displays the results.

If the AC adapter fails a test, click Troubleshoot.

Follow the on-screen instructions to attempt to resolve the problem, and then click Yes.

If the problem is not resolved, there is an issue with the AC adapter and you will have to get it replaced.

Perform component tests > Complete list of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Component Tests > Power Tests > AC Adapter Test

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.