Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15m-ed0013dx
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a desk top running windows 64 that contains all my data files. I tried updating my printer HP8710 on that desktop so I could scan docs.  Now my laptop HPEnvy360 which has been sharing the files won't connect.  What would have changed on the desktop to keep the laptop from being able to use the share folder?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @krspy,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems like your issue with the shared folder not connecting might be related to a change in network settings or permissions, which could have been unintentionally altered during the printer update. Here are a few things you can check and steps you can follow to potentially resolve the issue:

Check Network Settings:

• Ensure both the desktop and the laptop are on the same network. Sometimes, network settings can be reset or changed during software installations.
  • Verify that the network profile on your desktop is set to "Private" and not "Public". A "Public" setting can restrict file sharing for security reasons. You can check this by going to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi (or Ethernet if using a wired connection). Click on your connection and make sure the network profile is set to "Private".

Firewall and Antivirus Settings:

• Sometimes, updates can modify firewall rules. Check if the firewall settings on your desktop are blocking file sharing. You can temporarily disable the firewall to see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you'll need to set up a rule that allows file sharing.
  • Similarly, check if any antivirus or security software has updated its settings to block network sharing.

File Sharing Permissions:

• Revisit the sharing permissions on the folders you are trying to access from your laptop. Right-click the folder on your desktop, select Properties, go to the Sharing tab, and ensure that the folder is still shared with the appropriate permissions.

Network Discovery:

• Make sure Network Discovery is turned on. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings and ensure "Turn on network discovery" and "Turn on file and printer sharing" are selected under the Private (current profile).

Restart Devices:

• Simple but often effective, restart both your desktop and laptop. This can help reset network connections and resolve minor configuration issues.

Check if Services are Running:

• Some Windows services need to be running for network sharing to work properly. Check services like Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host are running. You can check and start these services via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.