Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-1022

The computer is not discoverable online. It is treated as a new device despite years-long usage with multiple hosts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Pete1940,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP ENVY Desktop is not discoverable online despite being used for years with multiple hosts, there could be several reasons behind this issue. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try.

Check Network Connection: Ensure that your computer is properly connected to your network. Make sure the Ethernet cable (if applicable) or Wi-Fi connection is working correctly.

Restart Router and Modem: Sometimes, the issue might be with your router or modem. Try restarting them to see if it resolves the problem.

Update Network Drivers: Make sure your network drivers are up to date. You can do this by going to Device Manager, locating your network adapter, right-clicking it, and selecting "Update driver."

Check Network Sharing Settings: Verify that network sharing is enabled on your computer. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings and ensure that network discovery and file sharing are turned on.

Firewall and Antivirus Settings: Check your firewall and antivirus settings to ensure they are not blocking network discovery. Temporarily disable them to see if it makes a difference.

Reset TCP/IP Stack: You can try resetting the TCP/IP stack to its default settings. Open Command Prompt as administrator and run the following commands:

netsh int ip reset 

netsh winsock reset

Check for IP Address Conflict: Make sure there are no IP address conflicts on your network. Assign a static IP address to your computer to avoid conflicts.

Check for MAC Address Filtering: Some routers have MAC address filtering enabled, which only allows specific devices to connect to the network. Make sure your computer's MAC address is allowed in the router settings.

Check for Firmware Updates: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your router and install them if necessary.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue of your HP ENVY Desktop not being discoverable online.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Pete1940,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP ENVY Desktop is not discoverable online despite being used for years with multiple hosts, there could be several reasons behind this issue. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try.

Check Network Connection: Ensure that your computer is properly connected to your network. Make sure the Ethernet cable (if applicable) or Wi-Fi connection is working correctly.

Restart Router and Modem: Sometimes, the issue might be with your router or modem. Try restarting them to see if it resolves the problem.

Update Network Drivers: Make sure your network drivers are up to date. You can do this by going to Device Manager, locating your network adapter, right-clicking it, and selecting "Update driver."

Check Network Sharing Settings: Verify that network sharing is enabled on your computer. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings and ensure that network discovery and file sharing are turned on.

Firewall and Antivirus Settings: Check your firewall and antivirus settings to ensure they are not blocking network discovery. Temporarily disable them to see if it makes a difference.

Reset TCP/IP Stack: You can try resetting the TCP/IP stack to its default settings. Open Command Prompt as administrator and run the following commands:

netsh int ip reset 

netsh winsock reset

Check for IP Address Conflict: Make sure there are no IP address conflicts on your network. Assign a static IP address to your computer to avoid conflicts.

Check for MAC Address Filtering: Some routers have MAC address filtering enabled, which only allows specific devices to connect to the network. Make sure your computer's MAC address is allowed in the router settings.

Check for Firmware Updates: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your router and install them if necessary.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue of your HP ENVY Desktop not being discoverable online.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the very detailed response. I am on the road right now but will work my way through the possibilities you have provided. 👌

Pete

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.