Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Other

Hello. I just purchased a new macbook air with the M2 chip. 

I plugged my HP Pavilion 32q monitor, which I used with my old macbook, into a dongle that has an HDMI input and goes into the thunderbolt port on the new mac but the new mac does not recognize the monitor. 

On the mac I went to Settings > Display > hold down option to change "night shift" to "detect displays", but when I click on the "detect displays" button nothing happens. 

I've tried plugging the HDMI into different ports on the dongle and I've connected the dongle to the mac using both available thunderbolt ports on the new Mac, but none of that worked. I restarted the computer and put to sleep and woke up but that didn't work either. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @kdh11 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you've already taken some good troubleshooting steps. Since the new MacBook Air with the M2 chip should be compatible with external displays, there are a few more things you can try:

• Check the cable and dongle: Sometimes, the issue might be with the cable or dongle. Try using a different HDMI cable or a different dongle if you have one available to see if that resolves the problem.
  • Update macOS: Make sure your MacBook Air is running the latest version of macOS. Sometimes, software updates include fixes for compatibility issues with external displays. 
  • Reset NVRAM/PRAM: Resetting the NVRAM (non-volatile random-access memory) or PRAM (parameter random-access memory) can sometimes resolve display-related issues. To do this, restart your MacBook Air and immediately press and hold Option + Command + P + R until you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Check for driver updates: Although macOS usually handles drivers automatically, it's worth checking if there are any specific drivers or updates available for your monitor from the HP website.
  • Try a different monitor: If possible, try connecting a different monitor to your MacBook Air to see if it's an issue with the monitor or the MacBook.

Refer to this document: HP Pavilion 32q 32-inch QHD Monitor

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.