Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario 5660

I have searched for the audio driver for this computer for Windows 98.

I've searched on several websites like, archive.org, vogons.org & us.driverscollection.com but I still can't find it.

This is a picture in Device Manager:

Picture in Device ManagerPicture in Device Manager

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @NirbisFE 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Try Snappy Driver Installer Lite at this Site.

Just do the audio driver if you get a hit and don't download the entire data base.

I've had very good results with this software. Many PC Techs use this software when it is difficult to find drivers for an older PC.

This software may not support W98.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you but I tried it and it didn't work. It said I needed newdev.dll so I downloaded it but it still didn't work. Is there anything else you think I could try.

HP Recommended

Hi @NirbisFE 

My pleasure.

Sorry to see SDI did not work on W98. SDI support stops at Windows 2000.

I've got nothing else.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @NirbisFE 

Just found this Site showing specs for the PC.

Your PC has Aureal A3D Sound (PCI audio).

This Site has some W95/W98 Aureal Sound drivers. I downloaded the drivers and checked the drivers for malware.

The drivers seem to be clean after running some A-V scans.

Try the drivers at this site at your own risk.

Regards

HP Recommended

Sorry, I haven't been able to respond, I've had some computer troubles and I'll tell you if it works when I can.

Hopefully soon.

HP Recommended

Hi @NirbisFE 

Sounds good.

You could also check both unknown device IDs in Device Manager. See if they match the device IDs at the download site.

There are additional driver download links at the site using each device ID.

Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.