Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-2000a (2Z6E2AV)

Greetings, I'm hoping to upgrade to a faster processor. I found a processor that I like and is the same AM4 socket as my existing processor. I'm worried, however, because the 5700G that came with the system only uses 65W and the processor I'm looking at uses 105W. Will this work in my HP Gaming Pavilion PC? I believe it has a 400W PSU.

I remember thinking it was odd initially that the PC came with a Ryzen 5700G considering it also included an RTX 3060. I thought that was kind of a waste but now I suspect that it's due to the TDP.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you may have!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Appguy07,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

Your HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-2000a (2Z6E2AV) is fitted with an Erica6 motherboard (SSID: 8906), and the fastest processor that is compatible with your PC is a Ryzen 7 5700G (3.80 GHz up to 4.60 GHz, 8-Cores, 16-Threads). This is also verified, albeit indirectly, by looking at SSID: 8906 (AMD) HP System Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx Users: UserBenchmark: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx Compatible Components.  I am sure the TDP plays a role, as well as HP's (BIOS) microcode.

There is a 500-watt power supply with p/n: L77487-001 (L81009-800 or L89233-00).  Please check if your 7-pin "P2" connector is wired as follows: black, empty, grey, green, empty, empty, empty -identical to the aforementioned 500-watt PSU:

NonSequitur777_1-1714795003772.png

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Appguy07,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

Your HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-2000a (2Z6E2AV) is fitted with an Erica6 motherboard (SSID: 8906), and the fastest processor that is compatible with your PC is a Ryzen 7 5700G (3.80 GHz up to 4.60 GHz, 8-Cores, 16-Threads). This is also verified, albeit indirectly, by looking at SSID: 8906 (AMD) HP System Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx Users: UserBenchmark: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx Compatible Components.  I am sure the TDP plays a role, as well as HP's (BIOS) microcode.

There is a 500-watt power supply with p/n: L77487-001 (L81009-800 or L89233-00).  Please check if your 7-pin "P2" connector is wired as follows: black, empty, grey, green, empty, empty, empty -identical to the aforementioned 500-watt PSU:

NonSequitur777_1-1714795003772.png

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you NonSequitur777. I get that HP says that’s the only processor but one would think that any AM4 socket processor would work assuming you meet all the other prerequisites (power, etc.) are you suggesting that only the ryzen processors with graphics work with this motherboard?

Thanks again for the help and advice!

HP Recommended

@Appguy07,

Look, I don't disagree with you: in a perfect world, that should be the case.

As it is, there are HP limitations.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help and advice. I guess the lesson to learn is if you want an upgradeable system then build it yourself. I think the newer HP systems are probably more upgradeable. Anyway thanks again!

HP Recommended

@Appguy07,

You are welcome! -Glad I could assist.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.