Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z600 Workstation

Hello, I would like to ask if it is possible to fit a RTX 2070 Super in the workstation as thats the only gpu I have on hand but its power connectors are an 8 pin and a 6 pin while the Z600 only has a 6 pin connector, is there any workaround for this as I have a tight budget to buy a new gpu. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@neros15,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

Please verfy: is your HP Z600 Workstation fitted with a 650-watt power supply (p/n: 508548-001)? Your power supply has sufficient wattage to power an RTX 2070 Super. If your power supply is equipped with two 6-pin PCIe power cables, you can use a 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe power adapter cable since each 6-pin (as far as I could ascertain) can deliver 12V x 18A = 216-watt of power anyway.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Upon checking, yes my unit is indeed fitted with a 650 Watt power supply however, there is only one 6 Pin connector available and don’t see any ports to fit another 6 pin power cable. Thanks for the insight anyways!

HP Recommended

@neros15,

All right, then here is one solution -what I would try if your HP Z600 was my upgrade project: get a 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe power adapter cable, and a dual 15-pin SATA to 6-pin PCIe power adapter cable:

NonSequitur777_0-1714793084958.png

Obviously, connect the first cable into your 6-pin PCIe power cable, and connect the second cable to two SATA power cables.

This ought to work.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help! That’s what I initially planned to do and wanted to ask if there are any alternatives, I decided to sell the gpu and just decided to buy a RTX 3050 which just needed a 6 pin to 8 pin connector that I had in hand. I appreciate the incite.

HP Recommended

@neros15,

You're welcome and good luck!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.