Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0053w
Microsoft Windows 11

I have just ordered the following RAM for this Pavilion and wanted to know if this looks okay:

TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 2666MHz (PC4-21300) CL19 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V UDIMM 288 Pin PC Computer Desktop Memory Module Ram Upgrade - TED432G2666C19DC01

I am also looking to drop in a 1TB SSD as a 2nd Hard Drive and just keep the existing 1TB disc drive. What SSD could I purchase and would I go with a 2.4 inch as opposed to a 3.5 inch? Would this work and which hard drive would you install OS and other programs and which one would you install say, the CAD programs like Fusion 360?

Ralph M Bohm
HP Pavilion 590 P0053W,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ralph_Bohm,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

You ordered the correct RAM for your HP Pavilion 590-P0053w (3LA71AA), as your Lincs motherboard with SSID: 843B can be fitted with up to 2 x 16GB of DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666 MHz, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, UDIMM, 288-pin RAM sticks.

Question: is your primary (boot) drive a SATA HDD or SSD?  -Your motherboard has one M.2 NVMe SSD slot, which I would use, and making that my primary (boot) drive after cloning.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Ralph_Bohm,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

You ordered the correct RAM for your HP Pavilion 590-P0053w (3LA71AA), as your Lincs motherboard with SSID: 843B can be fitted with up to 2 x 16GB of DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666 MHz, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, UDIMM, 288-pin RAM sticks.

Question: is your primary (boot) drive a SATA HDD or SSD?  -Your motherboard has one M.2 NVMe SSD slot, which I would use, and making that my primary (boot) drive after cloning.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hello NonSequitur777,

Kind Regards,

~~~~~

This may sound like a dumb question but where is the M.2 NVMe slot and what does it look like? I will Google the slot and look at images to see if I can find it. 

Update:

I believe I know what and where the M.2 NVMe SSD slot is and now I am confused as I thought I only have a SATA HDD. 

At least I believe I have one of each. I will take another picture of the system. Right above the CD Drive is a Hard drive as I understand it and, then, I have this small 16GB Intel Optane Memory M10. Is that the SSD? 

Ralph M Bohm
HP Pavilion 590 P0053W,
HP Recommended

Here is a picture of my motherboard. 

I'm still getting familiar with all of this.

20230418_111227.jpg

Ralph M Bohm
HP Pavilion 590 P0053W,
HP Recommended

Here is a close-up of what I believe is my SSD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

20230418_111556.jpg

Ralph M Bohm
HP Pavilion 590 P0053W,
HP Recommended

@Ralph_Bohm,

Excellent question and thank you for sharing the pictures.

Don't see this much anymore, but what you got here is an Intel Optane Memory M10 16GB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 (p/n: MEMPEK1J016GA) stick, which is installed as a system acceleration solution between your processor and your slower storage device (SATA HDD).  This Optane card enables your desktop to store commonly used data and programs closer to the processor.

My recommendation stands: get rid of the Optane card and install a decent yet affordable M.2 NVMe SSD such as the (currently $48) Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280 R/W up to 3,400/3,000MB/s SSD (SU001TBP34A80M28AB) as seen here: Amazon.com: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280 R/W up to 3,400/3,000MB/s SSD (SU001TBP34A80..., clone it from your SATA HDD using Macrium Reflect Free, and make this your primary (boot) drive.  The increase in performance will blow you away.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Nonsequitur777,

I don't know how to thank you for your time. I sure will run with this advice and look at the link you've included. I will also need to leave for the next 5 days as I drive professionally but will resume this next week when I get back home. If you don't mind, I will keep you up to date with my progress. 

Thank you so much again for holding my hand through this.

Ralph

Ralph M Bohm
HP Pavilion 590 P0053W,
HP Recommended

@Ralph_Bohm,

You're quite welcome!

Before you remove the Intel Optane card / before you clone your SATA HDD to an M.2 NVMe SSD, please follow these uninstall procedures first:

1.) Disable the Intel Optane memory with Intel RST:

NonSequitur777_0-1681834477556.png

2.) Disable the Intel Optane memory in system BIOS:

NonSequitur777_1-1681834523168.png

Link: HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Customer Support.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@Ralph_Bohm,

And in case you need any assistance with regards to the cloning procedure, here is what you need to do right after you completed the previous two Optane disabling steps:

1.) Power down your PC, disconnect from power, and push your desktop's power button for a couple of seconds to fully discharge any residual power.

2.) Open up your desktop and remove the Optane drive.  Replace with the new M.2 NVMe SSD.

3.) Reconnect power and turn on your PC.  Should boot up, even though it may take longer without the Optane drive.

4.) Download and run this most useful freeware utility program called "CCleaner" from here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard, run "Health Check" (Start) and also "Registry" (Scan for Issues).  The first step will delete useless files thus freeing up space, and the second step will clean out your system Registry for missing or broken items to help prevent errors from occurring.

5.) Type in: cmd in your Windows search bar, and right-click on the Command Prompt App, then left-click on Run as administrator, then click on Yes to confirm.

Copy/paste/enter the following command:

sfc /scannow

Completion may take a while, no worries.  Once completed, copy/paste/enter the following command:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This will likely take even longer, be patient.

These commands will fix any operating system issues such as corrupted files, etc., as seen here on my HP ZBook Firefly G8 laptop:

NonSequitur777_0-1681849342326.png

Once completed, please restart your PC.

6.) Download the freeware cloning software named Macrium Reflect 8 Free from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree, go to: "Reflect 8 Free 30-Day Trial" and click on: "Download Free Trial".

The download steps and the cloning process are explained very well in these YouTube instructional videos.  These vids mostly mirror each other, but they also complement each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LoRg0AFBKI, and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RgI2kGCvjM.

Reconfiguring boot order in BIOS. Once you completed your cloning, restart your desktop, whilst tapping away on your F10 key. In BIOS, go to the "Advanced", and use the following steps to configure the boot order on your desktop:

Select System Configuration > Boot Options.

Follow the on-screen instructions to change the boot order, making your new M.2 NVMe SSD the primary boot drive.

Once done, restart your desktop.  Please note, your PC may offer you two boot options (old HDD or new SSD), choose the new SSD. Start up. Then type in device manager in your Windows search bar, and check if your new drive shows the little Windows logo as seen here (red circle) :

NonSequitur777_0-1681848319148.png

If it does, then check if all your HDD data transferred to the new SSD (use File Manager to right-click on each drive, and click on "Properties" -should show about the same "Used space" for each drive).

If you are confident the cloning was complete (and it should) and your desktop used the new M.2 NVMe SSD as its new primary (boot) drive, then right-click on the old HDD drive and do a quick "Format..." to clean out the drive. You can use the old drive as secondary storage from now on.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

Do you want to upgrade your M.2 Solid State Drive (SSD) but think it is too hard. Think again. In this video tutorial we show just how easy it is clone your M.2 SSD using a cheap USB adaptor and free disk cloning software from Macrium Reflect. This video answers the following questions: How to ...
Copying your Windows operating system to a new SSD or storage device is easier than ever thanks to Macrium Reflect. In this guide I go over how to do this on the Evolve III Maestro Laptop, but it will work for any Windows based PC. Update: It seems a few features have been stripped from the free ...
HP Recommended

Hello NonSequitur777,

Okay, I've returned home to find my 1TB SSD waiting for me to replace my existing 16GB SSD. I believe you started to tell me how to go about making the replacement and that it included my need to "clone" the existing 16GB SSD to the 500GB HDD before pulling it out and installation of the new 1TB stick. 

Can you walk me through the process again? 

Below is an image of the new memory:

20230501_183246.jpg

Ralph M Bohm
HP Pavilion 590 P0053W,
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.