Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Special thanks to chrisocowan !!!!  As I get more infomation  or a clarification, I will edit. So keep with this post. Last night Chris and I had a talk, and he delved into the chassis.

The BERKS motherboard is 100% proprietary:

1) Power leads are two 2x2 plugs, and an in-line 7pin. (only 3 wires). 

2) GPU power is a 6+2 plug.

3) Exhaust and CPU fans are 4 pin.

4) Two mother headers support SATA power. Supports 2 devices per cable.

Sata power 1 is 8 pins (4x2). Black bundle below this header goes to the Front Panel Power switch.

Sata power 2 is 6 pins (3x2).

5) Four motherboard Sata data headers. Cable end at board is color coded.

6) Supports three 3.5" drive bays and one CD/DVD drive. All drives use HP Blue Isolation screws. This allows the drives to slide into a locking mechanism. There is actually NO hard drive tray.

Power Supply is proprietary.  PSU vary at 310W, 400W, and 500W, depending on installed GPU card.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8 GB GDDR5X dedicated

I forget too ask Chris what the plug dangling beneath the PSU was... look for update later.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Quick question since it's not obvious to me, which one is the 2nd SATA Power Header, the one near the Orange and Blue SATA connectors?

HP Recommended

Answering my own question, here's both HDD SATA Power Blocks.   SATAP2 is 3x2, whereas SATAP1 is 4x2.

Partsurfter identifies two PNs,  L22274-001 (Cable HDD1 SATA, Dyson) and L22275-001(Cable HDD2 SATA, Dyson).

A European suppier wants $56 for L22275-011.

SATAP2SATAP2SATAP1 and ODD Power HeaderSATAP1 and ODD Power Header

HP Recommended

@chrisocowan,

Amazing clarity. Everyone can appreciate your valued assistance with this project.

Curious:  Sata power 1 is 8 pins. Sata power 2 is 6 pins.  What is that separate black plug below the ODD etched on board.  It looks like several wires in a bundle.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The black bundle below the ODD stenciled lettering goes to the Front Panel Power switch.

Looking at the Partsurfer page, http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=4AB23AV

Looks like I really want an L22273-001.  

HP Recommended

OK, I gave this a shot.  First thing is that I'm a total amatuer at this.  I bought 2 cables for this that fit, but I'm not sure they are the RIGHT cables.  I used the 6 pin slot on the board.  Got it all in and the **bleep** thing won't power on.  Take them out and it works.  So obviously I've done something wrong.

Can someone give me any more specifics on exactly what sort of cable to get or why this won't power on?   Thanks

HP Recommended

How do I open the side panel? 

HP Recommended

since the SATA power connector is hard to find in the US right now, and the price for one is very high it's possible to make your own adapter

you need to loacte a BERG 6 pin plug that fits the socket on the motherboard (does a GPU 6pin match?)

once you have the BERG plug, you need to wire it up correctly, if you do this wrong it's possible to damage the HD or the motherboard, so only people with the right skills should do this!!

the power spec for modern SATA drives has five diffrent voltages on the sata connector available (but some are optional)

only +12 and Ground are required in all cases all other lines are optional and may or may not be used depending on the what the board maker (HP) implementated. refer here for the SATA pinouts.

http://pinoutguide.com/Power/sata-power_pinout.shtml

now, if HP followed the standard wiring colors for the sata power, you should be able to look at the 8 pin berg connector that has SATA 0 drive power and see how many sata power lines are in use and the colors of the wires

now using a multimeter pinout the voltages on the 6pin berg connector once you know this you can take a SATA to molex adapter and cut off the molex end and attach the wires to the berg plug  connecting the Ground, +12, and +5 to match the 

motherboards pinout.

again i stress that improper wiring can cause system damage so if you are not skilled in basic wiring/soldering wait for HP to stock the adapter

HP Recommended

I had the same issue with the side panel .  Go easy, but there's a little flange on the back of the unit on the right (looking to the front), just get your fingers under that and pull.  You many want to jiggle a little up or down at the front.  I don't know that there's a release point up there.  So no screws or anything, just pressure.

HP Recommended

Dgroves,

Thanks,...  For someone that is a novice, I guess the question I have is how do you tell which 3x2 plug works for this (obviously not all do) aside from getting the exact part that HP lists.  In theory, isn't a plug a plug?  (apparently not).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.