Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - TP01-1026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer won’t start up when I press the power button. The power button lights up briefly and the fans start spinning, but then the light goes out and the computer shuts down. I have disconnected everything except kbd, mouse, and displays, tried unplugging and waiting 30 seconds then plugging in again. I have tried holding the power button down for 15 seconds and then trying again. Nothing works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It was the power supply. The confusing thing about it was that the power button  led would light briefly and the cooling fans would start spinning when I attempted to power on. So it wasn’t completely without power. But replacing the PS for $70 solved the problem. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @onceburned 

Welcome back to the Forum.

The symptoms you are seeing can be caused by various hardware problems.

I would contact HP Support if your PC is in warranty.

You could try some additional stuff to eliminate some component problems. Disconnect all storage devices (DVD and SSD) then try to start the PC. Disconnect the WIFI card. Try to start the PC.

Remove all memory modules. Try each module, one at a time, in each memory slot. Start the PC each time to check each memory module in all available memory slots.

HP specs for your PC show integrated CPU graphics. Try CPU graphics if you added a discrete graphics card.

No luck at this point would suggest a possible power supply, MB, or CPU problem. A flaky power button can also cause this symptom. The power button in your PC case connects directly to the MB.

You would need HP service or a local PC Tech at this point.

Regards

HP Recommended

It was the power supply. The confusing thing about it was that the power button  led would light briefly and the cooling fans would start spinning when I attempted to power on. So it wasn’t completely without power. But replacing the PS for $70 solved the problem. 

HP Recommended

Hi @onceburned 

My pleasure.

Happy to have provided assistance.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.