Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Norton 360 Driver updater

Recently through my Norton 360 account I added their Driver Updater software and ran it.  After running this software, my sound would not work.  In Settings, Sound (Windows) it says I have no output audio device.  Under Windows Device Manager and sound, video, etc. it said I had RealTek driver.  I tried going back to prior version here...it did not restore my sound.  I then tried updating the realtek driver and this also did not restore my sound.  So I thought in Windows Device manager to uninstall my RealTek audio driver (and then hopefully reinstall it).  

Now I cannot figure out how to reinstall the Realteck audio driver for my Windows 11 HP Envy laptop computer or restore sound or get Windows Settings, Sound to add a output audio device to restore sound to my computer.  

Please help me restore sound and Realtek audio drivers to my laptop.  Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Palix,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're having trouble with your sound after using Norton 360's Driver Updater software. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you reinstall the Realtek audio driver and restore sound to your HP Envy laptop running Windows 11.

• Access the HP Support Website: Go to the HP support website (support.hp.com) on a different device, since your laptop currently has no sound.
  • Find Your Laptop Model: Enter the model number of your HP Envy laptop to find the appropriate drivers. You can usually find the model number on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop.
  • Download Realtek Audio Driver: Locate the audio driver for your specific model of HP Envy laptop. Download the latest version of the Realtek audio driver compatible with Windows 11.
  • Transfer the Driver to Your Laptop: Transfer the downloaded driver to your HP Envy laptop using a USB flash drive or any other method you prefer.
  • Install the Driver: Double-click the downloaded driver file to begin the installation process. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the Realtek audio driver.
  • Restart Your Laptop: Once the installation is complete, restart your laptop to apply the changes.
  • Check Sound Settings: After restarting, go to Settings > Sound in Windows 11 and check if your output audio device (Realtek) is now recognized. Make sure the volume is turned up and not muted.
  • Test Your Sound: Play some audio or video to test if the sound is working properly. If you still encounter issues, proceed to the next step.
  • Windows Troubleshooter: If the sound is still not working, you can use the Windows built-in troubleshooter to diagnose and fix sound problems. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters > Playing Audio. Follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
  • Check Device Manager: Open Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting Device Manager. Look for any devices with a yellow exclamation mark indicating a driver issue. If you find any, right-click on them and select "Update driver" to see if Windows can automatically find and install the correct driver.

By following these steps, you should be able to reinstall the Realtek audio driver and restore sound to your HP Envy laptop running Windows 11.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.