Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P2-1033W
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Can not hear audio since upgraded to windows 10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ALynch1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC. HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP is no longer producing Win10 drivers for the older machines.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers it needs for full functionality simply do not exist!  This is especially true if your PC has switchable graphics because, in this case, the ONLY drivers that will work properly are the OEM drivers that were written for that hardware.

To restore full functionality, you would need to do a factory reset using HP Recovery Media to its original pre-installed OS.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@ALynch1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC. HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP is no longer producing Win10 drivers for the older machines.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers it needs for full functionality simply do not exist!  This is especially true if your PC has switchable graphics because, in this case, the ONLY drivers that will work properly are the OEM drivers that were written for that hardware.

To restore full functionality, you would need to do a factory reset using HP Recovery Media to its original pre-installed OS.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @ALynch1

You may want to try installing the latest audio driver directly from Realtek.

Accept the agreement.  Download and install the W10 audio driver...32 or 64 bit as applicable.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT...

Make sure the PC speakers are set as the default in the Windows Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>Manage Audio devices section.

If that doesn't get the sound to work either, you may want to invest in a cheap external USB audio adapter such as this one to plug your speaker system into.

https://www.amazon.com/external-Adapter-Windows-Microphone-SD-CM-UAUD/dp/B001MSS6CS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.