Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z8 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Z8 G4 workstation. At startup I see this error message indicated for the TB card: "USB Type-C Controller Firmware Update failed on below Controller(s): - HP Thunderbolt 3 card". I have the choice to continue booting or rebooting and trying the update again. Selecting the second option brings me to the same message. If I continue booting into Windows the card is not seen in Windows even after installing the TB driver. The card is not seen by the HP TB3 firmware update either. I have the card installed in slot1, the topmost slot, with the GPIO cable connecting to the TB3 header on the mainboard. I don't have the Displayport cables connected to my GPU. I also have the premium I/O module.

I see the question was asked before but not answered, does anyone know what can be done or what steps are needed to troubleshoot this?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You must install the card into the correct PCIe slot, as follows. The slot closest to the
processor is slot 1.
• HP Z8 G4: PCIe slot 1
• HP Z6 G4: PCIe slot 6
• HP Z4 G4: PCIe slot 4

the TB cable between the card and motherboard header should be keyed on both ends to prevent wrong connections

i would also try resetting the bios back to factory defaults

until the card is seen by the system/bios you will obviously not be able to update the firmware on the TB card

HP Recommended

Thanks I have the correct connections as the pinout is different both ends so not possible to connect wrong way, in slot 1.

Bios reset to factory settings is a good idea, I will try this next and report back thank you.

HP Recommended

OK BIOS reset did not work, I am on the latest BIOS for the Z8 G4.
I also tried disabling front USB C ports, changing settings for Thunderbolt like Enumeration and Security and disable USB-C firmware update, nothing at all is working.

I have multiple of these cards, all brand new and none of them are working in the unit. I am at a total loss for what to do and I can't find any resources provided by HP for this error at all.

HP Recommended

Very strangely I have managed to get the Thunderbolt device to actually work without the BIOS allowing it, BUT I still can't install firmware so still get the errors. This is strange behaviour.
error.png
firmware.png
Thunderbolt.png

HP Recommended

Hello. Having the same issue here. HP Z6 G4 system, brand new thunderbolt 3 add-in card. 

I get the USB-C firmware update error,  then tried disabling that update from BIOS but the card does not work.

Did you find a way to make this work @Reprobyte? Thanks!

HP Recommended

I installed sp135935.exe and sp145461.exe and this allows the thunderbolt card to work for my Sandisk Pro Dock 4 at least, as long as its connected at bootup, but if I disconnect it at all then I have to reboot the entire machine.

I don't know about graphics.

The firmware error happens on both bootup and also at the point of trying to update with file in windows.

I think it's really bad that HP provides zero documentation on this error and refuses to even answer their own customers. I am thinking of leaving HP altogether now and building my own machine again from scratch. I thought buying a prebuilt was supposed to save time, not cause unfixable problems.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I will test that on my own setup, I mainly use Ubuntu Linux 22 and issuing a lspci command I don't even see a Thunderbolt card present at all. But if I enable the firmware update setting on the EFI setup I get the same error as you.

I will later try an eGPU to see if it works booting with the card attached, but I don't really think it will.

I have a generic Gigabyte-mobo based PC with a Titan Ridge TB3 add-in card and it works perfectly well, so I am also really dissapointed as well with HP on this matter. Also the PSU connectors are much more versatile on the generic PC, here everything is limited by what HP wants you to use, had to buy some adapters to attach my internal 7900XTX GPU, and remove the front fan encasing as it won't fit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.