Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi there, I'm using a HP Thunderbolt Dock 280W G4- docking station.  I'm trying to connect a USB-C hub to this dock, and it's not seeing my SSDs when I do.  If I connect it directly to my laptop, it works fine.   Devices connecetd to a USB-A hub work fine,so I'm not sure what the issue may be.

Is this a common problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @C-pher,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're facing issues with connecting a USB-C hub to your HP Thunderbolt Dock 280W G4 and not being able to detect SSDs, there could be a few reasons for this problem. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue.

• Check Compatibility: Ensure that the USB-C hub you are using is compatible with the HP Thunderbolt Dock 280W G4. Some hubs may not work seamlessly with certain docking stations due to compatibility issues.
  • Update Drivers and Firmware: Make sure that the firmware for both the Thunderbolt dock and your laptop is up-to-date. Also, check if there are any driver updates for the dock or the USB-C hub.
  • Power Supply: Verify that the HP Thunderbolt Dock is receiving sufficient power. Sometimes, connecting multiple devices to the dock may require more power, and if the power supply is insufficient, it can cause issues.
  • Thunderbolt Security Settings: Check the Thunderbolt security settings on your laptop. Some laptops have security features that may restrict or require authorization for certain Thunderbolt devices. Make sure that the USB-C hub is authorized and recognized in the Thunderbolt security settings.
  • Check Cable Quality: Ensure that you are using a high-quality USB-C cable. A faulty or low-quality cable can lead to connection issues. Try using a different USB-C cable to see if the problem persists.
  • Hub Power Delivery: If your USB-C hub has Power Delivery (PD) capabilities, ensure that it is providing sufficient power to the connected devices, especially the SSDs. Some SSDs may require more power than others.
  • USB-C Hub Settings: Check for any specific settings on the USB-C hub that might affect its compatibility with the Thunderbolt dock. Some hubs have switchable modes or settings that may need adjustment.
  • BIOS/UEFI Settings: Check the BIOS/UEFI settings on your laptop for any Thunderbolt-related options. Sometimes, there are settings that need to be configured to allow external devices to work properly.

Remember to back up your data before making any significant changes or updates to ensure that your important files are protected.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @C-pher,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're facing issues with connecting a USB-C hub to your HP Thunderbolt Dock 280W G4 and not being able to detect SSDs, there could be a few reasons for this problem. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue.

• Check Compatibility: Ensure that the USB-C hub you are using is compatible with the HP Thunderbolt Dock 280W G4. Some hubs may not work seamlessly with certain docking stations due to compatibility issues.
  • Update Drivers and Firmware: Make sure that the firmware for both the Thunderbolt dock and your laptop is up-to-date. Also, check if there are any driver updates for the dock or the USB-C hub.
  • Power Supply: Verify that the HP Thunderbolt Dock is receiving sufficient power. Sometimes, connecting multiple devices to the dock may require more power, and if the power supply is insufficient, it can cause issues.
  • Thunderbolt Security Settings: Check the Thunderbolt security settings on your laptop. Some laptops have security features that may restrict or require authorization for certain Thunderbolt devices. Make sure that the USB-C hub is authorized and recognized in the Thunderbolt security settings.
  • Check Cable Quality: Ensure that you are using a high-quality USB-C cable. A faulty or low-quality cable can lead to connection issues. Try using a different USB-C cable to see if the problem persists.
  • Hub Power Delivery: If your USB-C hub has Power Delivery (PD) capabilities, ensure that it is providing sufficient power to the connected devices, especially the SSDs. Some SSDs may require more power than others.
  • USB-C Hub Settings: Check for any specific settings on the USB-C hub that might affect its compatibility with the Thunderbolt dock. Some hubs have switchable modes or settings that may need adjustment.
  • BIOS/UEFI Settings: Check the BIOS/UEFI settings on your laptop for any Thunderbolt-related options. Sometimes, there are settings that need to be configured to allow external devices to work properly.

Remember to back up your data before making any significant changes or updates to ensure that your important files are protected.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.